About Our Church
The history of Little Rock A.M.E. Zion Church is so grand and glorious that the essence of its greatness can never be fully captured or retold. So many courageous, dedicated, and visionary men and women have made immeasurable contributions to this bright “Star of Zion” that only small highlights can be shared.Little Rock A.M.E. Zion Church was organized in the
backyard of Mrs. Mary Ann Hunter after pulling out from the old Clinton Chapel A.M.E. Zion Church in 1884. The first church, in reality, was a little house sitting on a rock – hence the name, Little Rock.The original church property was purchased for a sum of four hundred and twenty-five dollars. In 1906, under the pastorate of Rev. W.R. Douglas, the frame structure was moved across Seventh Street. The moving process was so slow that services and even a funeral were conducted while the church was in the middle of the street. The brick edifice was completed in 1911 under the administration of Rev. Douglas.
The old Little Rock was a testament to the outstanding architectural selection and financial commitment of God’s people to God’s glory. Little Rock has been truly blessed with ardent and eloquent pastors.
From 1884-1972, the following ministers, with their families have serve diligently, and often with little monetary reward: Rev. Zusk Horton, Rev. G.G. Musgrave, Rev. Rufus C. Collins, Rev. Blackwell, rev. George C. Clinton, Rev. H.H. Jackson, Rev. S.D. Watkins, Rev. W.R. Douglas, Rev. W.D. Speight, Rev. H.P. Lankford, Rev. S.J. Howie, Rev. I.J. Jackson, Rev. P.K. Fonville, Rev. S.P. Perry, Rev. H.E. Wilson, Rev. J.C. Hoggard, Rev. A.P. Morris, Rev. E.R. Michael, Rev. A.C. Bell, and Rev. George J. Leake. Although their contributions are too numerous to detail here, we praise God for their love and leadership of Little Rock. From this illustrious list of ministers, several were General Officers and two were elected Bishop: Bishop J.C. Hoggard and Bishop George J. Leake.
After Bishop George J. Leake assumed the Episcopacy, Rev. William M. White was appointed as pastor in June, 1972. Under his leadership, groundbreaking for the present facility was held on Sunday, May 4, 1980. The new sanctuary and Educational wing were completed in October, 1981. Rev. White led members and friends in a reverent and stately procession from the old Little Rock Church into the new edifice on Sunday, December 6, 1981. That event marked a significant milestone in the history of our church. After the tenure of Rev. White, Dr. James R. Samuel became pastor of Little Rock on August 20, 1989. Under his leadership, several significant achievements and ministries were initiated. Dr. Samuel served as pastor of Little Rock for 16 years. On September 4, 2005, Rev. Dr. Dwayne A. Walker became the pastor of Little Rock A.M.E. Zion Church, with his focus on Excellence in Ministry.
This is the illustrious history of Little Rock A.M.E. Zion Church, which continues to be a foundation for our present endeavors.